Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil: What’s The Difference?
Many are the times you will find yourself getting confused when dealing with hemp oil and CBD oil. Most people will say one when implying the other. The two are natural oils that have gained a lot of popularity recently due to their immense benefits. Now to help you differentiate between hemp oil and CBD oil, here is a detailed differentiation between the two products.
Difference between CBD Oil vs Hemp Oil
CBD is the short form of the term cannabidiol which is a natural extract from hemp or cannabis plant. CBD oil is obtained from the leaves, flowers, and stalks of the hemp plant, unlike the hemp oil which is mainly extracted from the seeds of the hemp plant. The type of hemp preferred for the hemp oil is the industrial hemp because it contains insignificant amounts of active agents making it safe for use.
Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil: Species Of Origin
Both CBD oil and Hemp oil are derived from the cannabis sativa plant. However, studies have indicated that hemp is almost similar to cannabis indica species. All the same, both oils come from different strains of the cannabis sativa plant hence the variation in CBD count and THC levels. Most marijuana farmers concentrate on CBD and THC cannabinoids, and they create different strains by either increasing or decreasing the concentration of the two components.
What is CBD Oil
CBD oil contains high amounts of cannabidiol and traces of THC that is derived from the hemp plant. Ideally, THC is the component that gets you high when you consume marijuana or smoke it. Since CBD oil is made for a different purpose; it cannot give you a euphoric feeling once you use the product.
Every person has an endocannabinoid system that is responsible for sleep, mood, pain, and appetite. CBD oil works by stimulating your endocannabinoid system commonly known as ECS. The oil enables your body to produce natural cannabinoids. The oil has also been proven to increase cognitive ability, decrease anxiety, and increase alertness. CBD oil works by stimulating body receptors. A human being has two types of receptors known as CB1 receptors and CB2 receptors. The CB1 receptors are mainly found in the brain but can also be found in other parts of the body. CB2 receptors, on the other hand, are responsible for our immune systems and are responsible for feelings of pain and inflammation.
Benefits of CBD Oil
The oil is often used for medicinal purposes. Other than affecting the ECS, it has the following benefits to your body.
• Treatment of epilepsy and seizures.
CBD Epidiolex has been approved as a treatment for seizures that occur in some children between the ages of 3 and 5 years. The drug is also used to treat a rare condition that occurs in children below one year whereby they get seizures from fever. Some of these conditions cannot be treated using any other drug and are only prescribed based on one’s body weight. Back in 2014, a study discovered that CBD could help reduce the effects and frequency of attacks on epileptic people. More so, CBD has properties that reduce seizures. It can also help deal with disorders associated with epilepsy such as neurodegeneration, mental diseases, and other injuries.
• Treatment of bone growths.
• Relieving of pain – a recent study that was conducted on mice and rats that had inflammations and pain confirmed that CBD compounds helped to relieve the pain. Often are the times that people result to over the counter pain relieving medications. However, CBD oil has been proven to be a more natural way to treat pain instead of filling your body with chemically produced drugs.
• CBD has also been associated with helping smoking addicts get off their addiction.
A study conducted in the recent past has also indicated that individuals who use inhalers that contain CBD compounds smoke few cigarettes and that they do not get other cravings for nicotine-containing substances. Research has also shown that people who have disorders related to substance abuse such as insomnia, pain, and anxiety can get relief from using CBD oil.
• Ease nausea and vomiting.
• Prevent the growth of cancerous cells because CBD has low levels of toxins. It has also been said that the compound helps prevent the spread of cancerous cells within the body. It also helps fight cancer cells likely to weaken the body.
• Treatment of Alzheimer’s diseases that causes patients not to recognize faces.
The oil could help people retain their ability to recognize other people or suppress the progression of the disease to uncontrollable levels.
• CBD helps in the unblocking of arteries and other blood vessels.
• Prevent bacterial infections.
• Treat high blood sugars.
• Treatment of type 1 diabetes that is caused by inflammation of the pancreas. CBD reduces inflammation of the pancreas and may, therefore, treat type 1 diabetes or reduce its effects.
• Treatment of acne that is usually caused by inflammation of the sebaceous glands leading to excessive production of oil on the skin. CBD oil has been used extensively to treat acne because it inhibits oil production by the sebaceous glands.
How to Use CBD
CBD can be used in different ways. If prescribed as a drug, then follow the instructions given by your medical practitioner to avoid adverse effects.
• You can also mix the oil with your food or drinks.
• You can also take the oil using a dropper or straw.
• The oil can be in the form of a capsule for ingesting with water.
• The product is even available as a cream that you can apply on your body to realise various effects.
• CBD oil is now available as a spray that you can administer directly to your mouth.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
CBD oil is a product of the marijuana plant, and different countries have different laws regarding the use of either medical or euphoric marijuana. For instance, in the United States, some states allow medical marijuana and recreational marijuana. Other states prohibit the use of either. Canada, on the other hand, has recently legalized the use of marijuana throughout the country. It is therefore crucial that you consult with your medical provider to know about the different laws in your locality.
Side Effects of CBD Oil
Most people have reported not having any side effects to any dosage of CBD. However, few people report feelings of fatigue, diarrhoea, nausea, or vomiting after using the compound.
Are There Any Risks Associated with CBD Oil?
No concrete studies have been performed on whether CBD compound in drugs or the oil is safe for children. Therefore, it is advisable to consult with your health provider before giving CBD to young children.
What is Hemp Oil
Hemp oil has very low levels of THC and CBD cannabinoids which is hugely the main difference between it and the CBD oil. Hemp oil is mainly an industrial product and is also used as a foodstuff. The industrial hemp oil is obtained from the hemp plant because it has stronger fibre than the marijuana plant.
The oil is rich in:
- Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
Benefits of Hemp Oil
- The oil is used in cooking as a replacement to other cooking oils. Some of the benefits you get from cooking food using hemp oil include:
• Skin moisturising properties.
• Healthy brain especially for young babies. It is therefore recommended that pregnant women take hemp oil for brain development and proper vision in their young ones.
• Low blood fat.
• Healthy heart because of the omega 3 and omega 6 that helps promote proper cardiovascular functions as well as prevent heart disorders.
- Manufacture of certain paint types.
- Production of soap, lotions, shampoos, and conditioners.
- The oil is also used in the production of bio-diesel fuels.
- Some plastics are also made using hemp oil.
- Hemp oil is good for healthy hair, skin, and nails hence the massive use of the oil in most cosmetic products.
- Hemp oil has also been proven to help in mood elevation especially for people with bipolar disorders especially due to the presence of omega 3.
- The oil is good at boosting your immune system especially if you are prone to flu and colds.
- The omega 6 found in Hemp oil is also good for balancing hormones especially during the menstrual period for women. The oil is also ideal for treating menstrual cramps.
How are Hemp Oil and CBD Oil Produced?
Hemp oil is extracted through a process of pressing the hemp seeds. On the other hand, CBD oil is produced through a process of solvent extraction. In this process, alcohol, spirit, or any other solvent is used to separate the cannabis sativa content such that different cannabinoids are separated from each other. The solvent is then left to evaporated leaving the CBD oil.
Is Hemp Oil Legal?
Yes, the oil is legal in almost all parts of the world because it contains low CBD levels and only traces of THC that cannot give a euphoric feeling after use.
Hemp oil and CBD oil are different from each other even though most people confuse between the two. Hemp is obtained from the stalks or seeds of the hemp plant while CBD is derived from any other part of the plant. Another difference between the two is realised from their varied uses. CBD is medicinal while hemp oil is used for industrial purposes or cooking. Hemp oil also has some medicinal properties. The two compounds are also different from the way they are produced. CBD is obtained from a solvent extraction process while Hemp oil is derived from pressing the hemp seeds.